Monday, April 16, 2012

The greatest thrill...

... is to hear my boy read.

Reading was always the most intimidating of subjects whenever I had considered homeschooling. Up until then, I'd always assumed only trained teachers with fancy degrees could do it. And to be honest, I think a lot of people assume the same thing. Last week a lady in the grocery store asked why my son was not in school. After I told her we homeschooled, she asked, horrified, "But how will he learn to read?"

We have a set of the old Dick and Jane books, and they are Asher's favorite fun books to read himself. He sits for long periods of time reading them out loud, and then asks, "Please may I read just one more? Please?" I always love to hear that, especially when he's sitting in the same room as a 55" television set that's begging to be turned on.

I took this video of Asher reading from one of his Dick and Jane books this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment