Monday, October 13, 2014

Parking lot counting activity

Okay, so this was not my own idea, but it's so brilliant and simple that I wish I had thought of it. A friend posted it on facebook, and it looked really easy to make, especially considering we have two little boys (we have lots of toy cars) and we do a lot of online shopping (we have lots of delivery boxes).





Just take a box top and use a marker to draw numbered parking spaces.



Round up the same number of toy cars and number them, too. I used price tag stickers.



That's all there is to it! I'm all about those easily-prepared learning activities!

I showed Asa how the numbers on the cars matched the numbers of the parking spaces. He "drove" the cars into their correct parking spots. For now it is more of a matching game as he learns to identify numbers, but in future I can use this game in more advanced ways:

  • Skip counting. Park in every other spot.
  • Park only even numbered cars and spaces.
  • Park only odd numbered cars and spaces.
  • I call out a number. Asa must find the correct car and park it into the correct spot.
And of course there's the fun of simply driving the cars around in the box.


Or sitting in the box.



It's all good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment